Thursday, March 18, 2010

Blogging, A New Experience

Looking back through all of the blog post that I have made over the quarter I can see that I began to move from being very one sided to being open minded in my response about the required reading. As the quarter progressed I began to see the viewpoints of the other students in the class and began to put more thought into the side that I would previously have overlooked or dismissed. I also felt like I was more knowledgeable and interested in the mining topics discussed in the blogs about Lost Mountain.
I felt that my best blog post s about lost mountain to be the strongest since it was the topic that I was most interested in. I was intrigued by many of the Food Inc reading, but some of the stuff that I learned made me think twice about what I was buying and eating from the supermarkets. The best post would include topics that I would be able to offer input that might not be revealed through the actual reading but would be beneficial for others to read and learn from. I particularly like my lost mountain blog post pg(85-162). In this blog I was able to find a fair number of good quotes that demonstrated the humorous and ironic side of the mining industry and its effect on the population that lives within the mining zone. I also was able to find a possible solution to the problem, which is always the best thing to find when researching and reading about a certain problem.
When I look at the post that I had made about Food INC I can see that I was not able to relate as much to the topics that were discussed in the readings as I was able to in Lost Mountain. I feel that these post were not as strongly supported as my previous ones do to the fact that was not able to relate to them as much.
While I was writing each of the blog post I always had the thought in the back of my head that these could be viewed by anyone through the internet. At the beginning of the quarter I was more hesitant to write some of my thought for fear of how others would take/ judge them . As the quarter progressed I began to get to know my fellow classmates more and more, and this allowed me to care less and less about what I was writing about since many of the student shared similar ideas and viewpoints. I believe that most of my writing was written to relate the audience of my peers, but also include professors. I did not focus as much on the audience for these blog post as the actual material that was read and written about.
When I had posted comment on other’s blogs I had tended to agree with many of there idea. I mostly pointed out the idea that I had agreed about in their blog’s. In a few of the comments I offered my own person insight to try to offer the writer a different viewpoint that they might not have been previously exposed to. I do not like to contradict many people’s viewpoints unless I have significant evidence to back up and support the idea that I propose to them.
After reading the blog post from the other students in the class I was able to see how people can read the same material interpret these articles in many different ways. Everyone in the class is from different backgrounds and viewpoints this offered a very constructive learning environment that was much more productive to me that n if everyone was from the same background and had the same viewpoint. Many times during the course I was able to sit back and listen to the comment that the other students had made in class, and often think about the material in a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment